We are pleased to share that District 6250 voted to endorse Enactment “A”: to mitigate global warming by reducing greenhouse gas emissions. You can read the endorsed proposed enactment for the 2016 Council on Legislation here. Many thanks to all that participated in this process. As District Governor Dave Warren said in his email announcing the results, “This exercise in Rotary Governance has once again confirmed that everything that happens in Rotary is not only initiated, but also decided by our clubs.”
A Model for Dialogue
The purpose of this project is to generate dialogue within Rotary on the global warming humanitarian crisis. Why? To share information and gain support for action. From our Open Letter on September 29, 2014:
Public sentiment is everything. With public sentiment, nothing can fail. Without it, nothing can succeed.
Here’s the model we’ve used; we hope others will consider using it in their organizations and/or local government:
- Create a group within your organization that wants to work to mitigate the effects of global warming.
- Learn how to propose that your national/international organization support reducing greenhouse gas emissions. Propose a change to your organization’s governing documents?
- Make a formal proposal – be bold.
- Through sharing of information and dialogue, have your local group approve your proposal (in Rotary we needed approval from District Clubs) and then share it with your entire organization.
- Work to have it passed by your entire organization by sharing information and dialoguing. – this is what it’s all about!
We are working to share information on the Proposed Enactment throughout Rotary so it is approved at the 2016 Council on Legislation. This will include discussions and finding partners to help create a Climate Change Rotarian Action Group.
Paul Riehemann and Karen Kendrick-Hands, Co-chairs
P.S. – note over 10 members from District Clubs have signed on to Going Green (GG). The logo above is a District logo. If you’d like to join, please email us at bobblock1014 at att.net. Meetings are held the first Wednesday each month after our Rotary meeting (Inn on the Park, on the Capitol Square in Madison). Rotary meetings are noon-1:25 and GG is 1:30-2:15. Attend meetings if you can; by joining you’ll receive our emails and be kept in the loop on progress.